For the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to figure out why my app was mysteriously gobbling up memory. From a practical standpoint, it doesn’t matter since I have 32GB of memory. However, my customers likely don’t have that much memory, so seeing one of chrome’s processes eating up 600MB of memory bothered me and I spent a while every week trying to figure out what was going on.
I also found that the process would get unstable and slow after a while, likely due to the excessive amount of memory being marked and swept during garbage collection.
The one consolation is that it was not just my app; gmail and (oddly enough) the google instant autocomplete process gobbled up even more memory.
I tried out firefox and it didn’t have the same memory leak problem (that I could tell.) I tried chromium and it did not have the same memory leak problem (though it did/does randomly crash when I monitor its memory usage.)
I use three extensions with chrome:
I experimented with disabling them, but that did not seem to change anything. Finally, I removed all three today and the memory leak disappeared.
I’ve now added them back, with the exception of Vrome. I am now without my vi keybindings in my browser, but at least I can better judge memory usage.